Samstag, 20. Juli 2013

Obnoxious Pop-Songs: The Wanted - "Walks like Rihanna"

Okay.
First off, yes, I do watch Viva sometimes, I particularly enjoy watching the charts even.
I DO NOT DESPISE POP MUSIC like some people do.
Yes, the music I really dig is more towards the Alternative Rock/Metal or whatever, but I do enjoy listening to pop music.

It's just... sometimes you come across a song that is just so incredibly stupid, it makes you downright angry.
One of those songs came up on the radio just now while my Dad was driving me home; it's The Wanted's new single "Walks like Rihanna". I had only heard this song once before, and I remember that even then I just hated it. Give it a go:


Ok, here's the thing. "Walks like Rihanna" is about this girl who is apparently so incredibly amazing, but only for one great feature: walking like Rihanna.
I just.
The first thing I thought (just by the title) was "That's kinda clever, making a song about a girl who has Rihanna's attitude and that is great, because that IS one of Rihanna's better treats and she IS a very famous icon and she IS extremely sexy."
But then the song goes on and on and all they ever say about Rihanna is how that other girl walks like her. Like, not even as a metaphor for swagger and attitude, no, the girl in the song is actually super dorky, she just literally WALKS LIKE RIHANNA.
Is that even a thing? Rihanna's WALK? Is that something people acutally say like "Check out that girl's walk over there, that totally looks like Rihanna's!"?...  No, I didn't think so.
SO WHY EVEN MAKE A TRIBUTE TO RIHANNA IF YOU DON'T SAY ANYTHING GOOD ABOUT HER THE ENTIRE SONG?????

Another thing. Here's how the entire chorus goes:

She can't sing, she can't dance
but who cares - she walks like Rihanna.

And then they repeat that a couple of times. Apart from wondering why they couldn't at least think up a few more lines for their chorus, I'm not even sure how a person really can't dance, at all, but when she WALKS it's like "BOOM, I gotta nail that". Don't sex appeal and a lot of confidence (which I still try to think "walking like Rihanna" stands for) go hand in hand with good/sexy dancing?
I guess I'm just really over thinking that. "Walking like Rihanna" doesn't mean anything; it's neither a tribute to Rihanna, nor a metaphor for something that Rihanna does. It's just a stupid line in a stupid song that is meant to make people think it's a clever song.

Which it is not.
Let's talk about the rest of the lyrics here.

Have you seen that girl, have you seen her
With the way she moves you wanna kiss her
She'll be the girl of your dreams if you can close your eyes
You can feel that beat when she's in the room
You can feel your heart going boom boom
And all the boys they crowd around


THE WAY SHE MOVES? I thought she couldn't dance!? What is this song even about? Are you really telling me I'm looking at a song that is SOLELY about the girl's WALK? What is she, some kind of super model who can't do anything else but look good as she walks up and down? I don't. AAAHHHRG.
Also, she's not even all that hot, you know, she can be the girl of your dreams, if you can close your eyes and imagine really hard. Wut? Seriously, The Wanted, you guys are not exactly making her feel so very awesome.
And all the rest is just meaningless blabber. They go "Our hearts go boom boom boom" a few more times. Yes, that is what hearts do. You guys. You can stop now. We get it!

Jesus, this song makes me angry. For a love song, it's completely unflattering unless you pin all your confidence on how you walk; for a tribute to Rihanna, it's a complete failure because it doesn't say a single nice thing about her, heck, the entire song doesn't even mention Rihanna except for that half of a line in the chorus.
It's not even catchy!! It's not. Nothing about the song made me think "Hey, I like what they did with the music there". The music in "Walks like Rihanna" is just a flat-out, boring, synthesized blob.

If there isn't some fanatic cult that I'm oblivious of, that is obsessed with Rihanna's walk, I just don't understand what the song is about and why anyone would listen to it.

Thanks a lot for reading all this angry ranting, I just had to get it off my chest.

Love
Trin

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen