Mittwoch, 30. Oktober 2013

Flyleaf "New Horizons" album review

Subtitle: Goodbye Lacey =(

Hey there everyone, today's post is a bit of a change from the usual girlie-stuff. Sometimes I need to stop talking about make-up and taking selfies and get real for a second.
No Halloween posts from me, unfortunately, because I'm not going to any kind of event or party and even if I did, I would have started planning way too late to make a costume for myself, not to mention make a tutorial about it.
So instead I'm doing music today.
Let's talk about flyleaf. It was over four years ago when Ien and Lisa (love you guys!) first introduced me to this band. The first song I heard was "Cassie". I think it was during my stay in Japan when I really started listening to their music, and I even bought their first album in a mall in Japan!
For a long time I used to say "My favorite bands are Flyleaf and Paramore", but Paramore (amazing as though they are) have been pushed back to second place for a while now. Not only is flyleaf's first album (self-titled) incredible, their second one, "Memento Mori", has been my go-to singalong album for YEARS.

Then, about a year ago, singer/songwriter Lacey Sturm announced that she was leaving flyleaf! I gotta say my heart was a little broken. BUT before that they kicked out one more album, "New Horizons", which is the best thing this band has ever created. Ever.
Think they did it so everyone would have a reason to properly miss Lacey?
 I think so. Now, let me get something clear. I know I easily get excited and because of that I tend to exaggerate a lot, saying stuff like "omg I love this" or "This is the best thing ever!".
This way it's a bit hard to tell when I'm actually being sincere. But rest assured that a lot of time and thought went into the statement when I say: Flyleaf's "New Horizons" is. hands. down. the. SINGLE. best. album I have EVER. heard.

Let me try and explain why.
First off, Flyleaf just makes good music. The kind of post-grunge/alternative metal thing they are doing works SO well. Almost all of their songs are extremely well produced and written, speaking in terms of music. There's some talented people working on these tracks and I also feel like they are really trying hard to make every song a perfect little composition in itself. Now, this is obviously true for both of Flyleaf's other albums as well; it just had the biggest impact on me personally in "New Horizons". Something about the order of the songs, and the mix of really strong and loud anthems and beautiful calm ballads... I don't know, the whole composition of this CD just does it for me.

Then there's the songs themselves.
Now I don't get around mentioning that Flyleaf's members are all very religious and this does show in a lot of their songs, but even though I'm not a very faithful Christian myself, it never stopped me from loving their music. First, because I think a song has a different meaning for everyone who listens to it, but also I'm of the belief that pure, unconditional faith is something very admirable (even though - or maybe because - I cannot claim to have it myself).
That being out of the way, let's talk about the lyrics. To my ears, "New Horizons" isn't so much about Christianity, as about basic human values. Like, there's a lot of songs that are about the entertainment industry (e.g. "Cage on the Ground", "Green Heart" and others) and how money has become more important to people than their own souls. I love those, because I agree so very much.
Somehow Flyleaf always manages to put things into words that have been somewhere on my mind, but I never thought about saying it out loud. But then, once I think about it, I realize that that's exactly what's wrong with humanity.

 Of course that's not the only kind of song on "New Horizons", I was just trying to make an example of why I love this CD so much. There's also a lot of very emotional stuff that I identify with very much. Some honorable mentions are:

- "Call you Out": So this song gives me goosebumps for some very personal reasons. Anyone with ears in their head can figure out what those are: Because of a dear friend of mine, I keep finding myself in this situation where I'm one of two things: Either so incredibly sad, I can't even seriously talk about it; or just... so ANGRY, I wanna punch someone! (not just anyone either, someone specific) Now the latter of both is what makes me love "Call you Out" so much, because it's just LITERALLY (did I ever use this word the right way before?) what I would say, if I had any way to do so.

- "Broken Wings": Ah, now this is the other half of my emotional spectrum in this situation. At least, the way I listen to it. Other than that it's just heartbreakingly beautiful, and amazingly well sung.

- "New Horizons": Where do I start. The title track of this album is (being sincere again) my favorite song, ever. It's what gets me up in the morning, I shit you not.
The first few lines of this song is what I would get tattooed (if I didn't think tattoos, and especially text tattoos, were so stupid):

"So you're, tired, but you're alive
so open up your eyes and
you can get your sleep when you are dead,
kill the clock inside your head,
bring your normalcy
to the edge
and watch it drown in
New Horizons,
New Horizons"

I don't know why, but those words give me so much strength and motivation.
I didn't know I needed this song in my life, but now I usually don't go a full day without listening to it at least once.
Okay, I feel like the more I talk about it, the less meaning it has... So I'll stop now.


I guess my entire point of this post is: This. album. is. amazing.
Go listen to it, if you don't know it yet.
If you don't like it, that's fine too. Just know that you're dead to me.


I'm just kidding. I guess all I wanted to do is share something that's really important to me.
I hope you enjoy this kind of post, because I don't think it'll be the last one I make.


Thanks for reading anyways!
Love,
T <3

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen